The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a Europe-wide law that replaces the Data Protection Act 1998 in the UK. It is part of the wider package of reform to data protection that includes the Data Protection Act (DPA) 2018. The GDPR and DPA 2018 set out requirements for how organisations will need to process personal data from 25 May 2018.
The APIS website is operated by the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH). This privacy notice tells you what to expect when your personal information is collected.
The rights available to individuals in respect of the processing
The GDPR / DPA 2018 provides the following rights for individuals:
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to rectification
- The right to erasure
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
- Rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling
Users of the APIS website
Your information is used to deliver services you have requested and to contact you, through the general enquiries form, as well as to improve the website experience for our users.
When you use our websites we may collect the following information about you:
- the IP address used to connect your computer to the Internet
- your time zone setting
- your Internet provider
- your email address where you have specifically provided this information on a web submission form.
We may also collect the following information about your visit:
- the full Uniform Resource Locators etc.
- the pages you viewed, including our products and software pages;
- page response times;
- length of visits to certain pages;
- page interaction information (such as clicks, downloads, web form submissions)
We will use this information to provide the best possible service to our web users. It allows us to administer our site, including our efforts to keep it safe and secure, and to carry out internal operations including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, and statistical research. This means we can improve our websites to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you.
Processing your data must be done in line with one or more lawful bases. The above processing will be carried out in line with one or more of the following lawful bases:
- Consent: where you have given consent to the processing of your personal data for one or more specific purposes; where individuals are under the age of 13 parental consent will be required.
- Contract: where it is necessary for the performance of an agreement, contract or licence to which you are a party or for processes related to entering into an agreement, contract or licence;
- Public Task: where it is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us;
- Legitimate Interest: where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites and any services that may be accessible through them have their own privacy notices and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies or for any personal data that may be collected through these websites or services. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites or use these services.