The Planning Act sets out a series of legislative changes to deliver reform of the planning system in Wales. To ensure fairness, resilience and enable development the Act has 5 key objectives.
- A modernised up to date framework for the delivery of planning services including for the provision of new powers by Welsh Government.
- Strengthening the plan led approach for a National Development Framework and Strategic development plans.
- Improved resilience- to ensure local planning authorities to work more closely together or to be merged.
- Frontloading to improve the development management system.
- Enabling effective enforcement and appeals
Taken together these should deliver two major outcomes for Wales:
- Support the delivery of homes, jobs and infrastructure
- Provide opportunities to protect and enhance the most important built and natural environments in Wales.